~Smile! Well, unless you don’t have all your teeth…In that case – Grin!~
You know as someone who has suffered a great deal of pain through depression in anxiety in the past I sometimes forget through my recovery to smile. Those of you who know me well know that I grew up with the nickname “Smiley”. I smiled all the time. Maybe some of you were like that as well? Maybe not…Anywho, through the years of anxiety over my bad decisions, distance from God, a destructive lifestyle… I developed a pattern of depression that not only affected me but those around me. My smile wilted….I recall days when it was impossible to smile. Or so I thought. I just was so into “Me” and suffering over myself, selfishly. As I continue to grow as a man I see life change before my eyes every day. It’s not always easy but I see things change for the better instead of spiraling into deep dark holes. As I struggle through difficult days now I’m more aware that there are always better days ahead and this particular valley is only temporary. But most of all I try to focus on what makes me smile instead of what makes it hurt to smile.
Here are some things that make me smile:
- My dog Bluford. The term “Man’s best friend” is absolutely true because he’s mine
- Jasmine blooming
- Homegrown tomato sandwiches
- Randy Rogers
- Stoney Larue
- A random text to see how I’m doing
- My church family
- Making up games with any and all of my nieces or my nephew
- A good glass of red wine
- The sunset
- The sunrise
- Key West
- Day Dreaming (I know people say it’s unhealthy to day dream) Horse hockey!
- Hot Dogs
- My family
- Fitting into pants I haven’t been able to wear in 10 years.
- Counseling people
- Talking about Jesus
- Seeing someone get baptized (Actually that makes me cry, but I smile too)
- Writing songs
- Flip Flops
- Raw Oysters and beer
- Meeting someone new and learning about their heart and what makes them who they are
- Being right
- Making wrong things right
- Lake Oconee
- A good drive on the golf course
- Cutting grass (Yes I’m serious)
- Seeing God change a life
- God using me in spite of myself
- Sitting and staring at God’s creation and thanking him for it.
Those are just a few things that make me smile…When I need a smile I usually turn to God’s creation to settle my soul and to remind me of how faithful he is.
I just had this on my heart to share today. So if you’re struggling with something try to focus on whatever it is that makes you stretch out those lips. If you’re in a bad mood, a bad place in life, or just having a helluva bad day…Stop, walk outside and look around you. Take a deep breath and think about something that will no doubt leave a smile on your face. I was going to list a few things that made me frown and honestly there were so few I felt it not even relevant to my point. So my challenge to you today is to get out there in life and smile.
Until the next slip of the tongue, Thank you for visiting “Gullible’s Travels”
The Loose Cannon